Maurice Swanson, Ph.D., Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology at University of Florida, Gainesville, and a team of researchers have found that the muscleblind-like 2 (MBNL2) protein in the central nervous system (CNS) may be responsible for the neurological impacts of myotonic dystrophy
Are you interested in joining forces with MDF to serve more members of the DM community and drive research?
If you are, TeamMDF needs you! TeamMDF is the Myotonic Dystrophy Foundation's grassroots volunteer corps, created to increase the number of community members we support through our education, advocacy, and research programs, ultimately enhancing the quality of life of people living with myotonic dystrophy (DM), and maximizing efforts focused on treatments and a cure for this disease.
TeamMDF volunteers can help:
- Launch support groups and provide peer-to-peer phone support that will help patients and families looking for answers, support or advice
- Recommend medical professionals for the MDF physician referral list, so that community members can easily locate medical professionals with experience treating DM patients
- Host annual grassroots fundraisers to help increase and diversify the Foundation's funding base
TeamMDF has lots of volunteer opportunities:
- Participate in the Peer-to-Peer Warmline: As a member of the Warmline team, you can help welcome a new DM family member or caregiver to the greater MDF community or assist a current community member or caregiver in dealing with an issue that is familiar to you. All Warmline volunteers will receive training and materials to help provide one-to-one support.
- Help launch DM Support Groups: TeamMDF members can establish and promote local, face-to-face DM support groups for people and caregivers living with DM. Your involvement can either be to facilitate a support group or help establish a support group and identify a group facilitator. All support group facilitators will receive coaching materials and will participate in regularly-scheduled resource and mentoring calls with MDF staff.
- Provide names for the Physician Referral List: MDF is working to create a comprehensive list of physicians and healthcare providers with experience working with DM patients, but we need your recommendations - this is a community-generated list.
- Ready to recommend a physician or medical professional to your fellow community members? Click here to fill out the Physician Referral Form. MDF will compile your suggestions and alert you when we launch the Physician Referral List.
- Foster Grassroots Fundraising: Working with MDF staff, you can create a fundraising effort in your local community. Events - big or small – impact the amount and scope of work MDF can carry out on behalf of the DM community. Your local fundraiser will also help raise awareness of DM in your local community.
Questions? Contact us at TeamMDF@myotonic.org, or 86-myotonic (866-968-6642).