Close monitoring of respiratory function reduces respiratory complications in DM1.
Care Tools Research
Researchers and medical professionals from Europe, Canada and the USA gathered recently for a workshop in Europe to identify the main respiratory issues and best respiratory treatments for people with DM.
Clinical observation of gas exchange
- Measurement of respiration rate and work of breathing; comfort level; tachypnea
- Assessment of chest wall motion; abdominal muscle recruitment
- Observation for evidence of diaphragmatic paralysis
Adult Onset DM1
- Weakness of the diaphragm, abdomen and chest wall muscles affecting the ability to cough, resulting in chronic lung infections
- Failure of cerebral respiratory control, which may result in fetal distress
- Pulmonary immaturity, which may be further complicated by premature birth